Neck pain or a stiff neck is a common problem now days and generally there is nothing to worry about. The pain and stiffness usually gets better after a few days of home treatment and is not a sign of a more serious neck problem or underlying condition.
You can get a painful or stiff neck if you sleep in an awkward position; use a computer keyboard for a prolonged period of time.
Anxiety and stress can also sometimes cause tension in your neck muscles, which can lead to pain in your neck.
Treatment of neck pain at home
Whatever the cause of neck pain or a stiff neck, generally doctors advice to carry on with your normal daily activities and to keep active.
What other treatments one can try for neck pain at home?
- Try holding a hot water bottle or heat pack to your neck - this can help reduce the pain and any muscle spasms.
- Sleep on a low, firm pillow at night - avoid using two pillows because it may force your neck to bend unnaturally.
- Check your posture - bad posture can aggravate the pain and it may have caused it in the first place. Find out how to sit correctly.
- Avoid driving until the pain and stiffness have gone - it may prevent you turning your head to view traffic.
- If your neck is stiff or twisted, try some simple neck exercises - gently tense your neck muscles as you tilt your head up and down and from side to side, and as you carefully twist your neck from left to right. These exercises will help strengthen your neck muscles and improve your range of movement.
- Nerve or bone problems in the neck
- Sometimes, neck pain is caused by the 'wear and tear' that occurs to the bones and joints in your neck. This is a type of arthritis called cervical spondylosis.
Cervical spondylosis occurs naturally with age. It does not always cause symptoms, although in some people the bone changes can cause neck stiffness. Nearby nerves can also be squashed, resulting in pain that radiates from the arms, pins and needles and numbness in the hands and legs.
The following picture shows the area where the problem is and on which area we should give treatment.
To find out the exactly curing point on must use a diagnostic stick provided it should not be sharp (match stick, ball pen etc.) as shown in picture. Diagnostic stick is as :
The assumed area must be pressed upon with equal force without too much of strength. Cure point is always highly painful. No sooner you find the painful point, you can continue massage of the point by rotating the stick clockwise and anti clockwise, while pressing against the point somewhat harder. The cure point must be fully massaged out till residual pain disappears and gets replaced with a feeling of warmth in it. This process we can do 2 to 3 time a day.
After the above process for continue stimulation we will apply live seeds like Methi, Mug ….. on those affected area asshown in the following picture.
Treatment with Su jok is easy, cheap and friendly. One can try this in addition to normal medical care.
.......To know more about Neck Pain and its cure please cont.. Dr. R. P. Sahu ( Ph. no: 09437462621Berhampur, Odisha)
.........You may also share your valuable input directly to the author through email- email@example.com